The Columbia County Humane Society was incorporated in 1925 in response to growing community need to care for unwanted and abandoned animals. It was recognized as a charitable tax-exempt corporation in 1975. In 1978, the first shelter was constructed. Twenty years later, a new shelter was built at Highway 16 West and Industrial Road.
Each year, the Humane Society provides care and shelter to approximately 1100 animals. A number of these animals are strays brought in by local officials or animals abandoned at the shelter by their owners.
Over the years, we have saved the lives of countless animals through immediate care and treatment, and ultimately adoption. Because of the Society, otherwise unwanted animals have found happy, loving homes. The new shelter opened in 1998 to accommodate the increasing number of animals needing care and to provide increased services to the community, allowing the Society to continue its humanitarian work well into the 21st century.
The Columbia County Humane Society (CCHS) takes pride in the fact we do not euthanize an animal at our shelter for space. We also do not euthanize animals if they are not adopted within a certain length of time. All animals at our shelter are given every chance at adoption possible. We understand not every dog and cat will be adopted quickly. Some circumstances surrounding an individual animal may make their stay longer. Older and special needs animals may stay months. Sometimes we can’t find a reason why an animal finds itself in our care for months. We believe they are just overlooked!
Sadly, CCHS cannot say we never euthanize an animal. The reality of it is, not every animal we care for can be adopted. The decision to euthanize an animal is not made lightly. Each animal is evaluated medically and they receive temperament evaluations.